News

cocoa shell

Spring Gardening and the use of Cocoa Mulch –

Internet stories abound! Warnings are everywhere! Is Cocoa Mulch really the deadly killer it is proclaimed to be? Most experts don’t think so.

The dangers: Cocoa Mulch smells delicious! Cocoa Mulch is made from the shells of the cocoa bean. This is the same bean from which chocolate is made. Therefore, the bean shells contain theobromine and caffeine, the same chemicals which cause the Methylxanthine toxicosis caused by chocolate. Theobromine and caffeine are known to cause an increase in respiratory and heart rates. The more ingested, the more will be noted as far as vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, tachycardia (increased heart rate), hyperactivity and seizures.

Although there are stories all over the internet, there only seems to be one proven case of death to a dog from ingesting cocoa beans, and apparently, there may have been an underlying cause for that death as well. Over the last 10 – 15 years, most manufacturers of the mulch have become aware of the stories, and now do extra cleaning steps, and steaming of the shells, to remove as much of the theobromine as possible. It is a safer product than it used to be for your dogs and cats…and children.

HOWEVER, not all manufacturers are as conscientious, not all landscaping companies are concerned with where their products are made. It does not take much theobromine to make a pet sick. Our recommendation is: If your pet goes outside, unattended, use a different kind of mulch and don’t take a chance. If you feel the need to use cocoa bean shells, keep your pets at a distance.

SPRINGTIME HAZARDS TO AVOID! 

Puppy-Azalea

On our website this month, and in this month’s blog, we have keyed in on some of the dangers to watch for as the weather warms up. Each season has its dangers and Spring is no exception. Any one of the following items could be an article or blog by itself. If you would like further information on any of these, let us know and we will do our best to accommodate.

A few things to watch for and remember as it gets warmer:

  • Stagnant water and puddles – Spring showers leave puddles, puddles often carry the Leptospirosis bacteria and can get passed on to your pet when they drink, play, or even just splash in the puddles.
  • We have discussed in other areas of the website, toxic plants and mulch, but when gardening, don’t forget the dangers of pesticides and insecticides as well.
  • Your pets have been in all winter, and many have not had the chance to stretch out and run. Make sure you ease into that, so they don’t pull muscles. Don’t expect too much, too fast.
  • Overexposure – white coated animals and those with pale skin around eyes and nose are susceptible to skin cancers from exposure to the sun.
  • Wild animals are out of hibernation, and are in a hunting mode. Keep your smaller dogs and cats safe from hawks, coyotes, and other predators in your area.
  • If you are Spring cleaning, be careful of the cleaning products you use. They should be safe around your pets. Open the windows to let out strong fumes.
  • If you are opening windows – be sure screens are in tightly, and windows are secure, so your pets don’t fall out.
  • Expect some Allergies as the plants and trees start blooming.
  • Make sure you have your supply of Heartworm preventative and Flea and Tick preventative products.

Lastly, keep our telephone number handy…just in case. (508) 885-4848

 

  • Default Image

    California Wildfires and Your Pet

    Oct 28 2019

    Fueled by hurricane force winds several wildfires are tearing across California. A state of emergency was declared Sunday, not only for the fires raging in Northern California, but also for a growing…

  • Default Image

    Halloween Safety and Your Pet

    Oct 24 2019

    Boo! Halloween is almost upon us and while we search for last minute costumes, and of course, our favorite treats, take a moment to consider our furry friends. Children running through neighborhoods,…

  • Antifreeze Poisoning

    Jan 11 2017

    It's good for your car this time of year. For your pets? Not so much. The ethylene glycol that is in most antifreezes is extremely fatal when ingested, even in small amounts. Some antifreeze is now…

  • Preventing Outdoor Pet Poisoning

    Apr 30 2015

    When preparing the yard for spring, there are some dangers to our pets in surprising places. But with a little bit of planning, you can have a beautiful garden that is safe for your pets. …

  • Tick Talk: Questions and Answers

    Mar 26 2015

    With the arrival of spring, we are all happy to spend more time outdoors. Unfortunately, that includes ticks – which can cause a lot of grief for pets and people. Let’s talk ticks. …